Friday, September 17, 2010

I watched....

....The Passion of the Christ last night for the first time. I don't get what all the controversy was about.

Granted, I am not religious whatsoever, so I would not be the best person to be able to spot all the inaccuracies that incited so much anger when the movie came out. In fact, 4 years of Catholic school religion classes are all nothing but vague memories at this point. Not unlike everything I learned after Grade 2 math. And even that would be stretching it. The math has pretty much left the building as far as my brain is concerned.

Anywho.....I didn't mind the movie. But I kept trying to figure out what all the fuss was about. Again, I should emphasize I am not up to snuff on my Jesus trivia, so please forgive my ignorance.

It also didn't help that the following questions were posed back and forth between the boy and I during the course of the film:

-Is that Judas? I thought they showed Judas being arrested.
-Ceasar was alive at the same time as Jesus? I had no idea.
-Is that guy Judas?
-Wait, is Mary his mother or the prostitute?
-What language is this?
-Didn't you go to Catholic school? And you don't know this?
-Why do so many of the characters have long hair and beards? I can't keep track of Judas!
-Is this taking place in Rome? It sure looks like Rome.

I did something today I never in a million years thought I would do. I Googled "Passion"+"Christ"+controversy. Hey, it's a quiet Friday afternoon. I won't judge your Google history and you don't judge mine, okay?

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I love the term "Jesus trivia".

Tina Jensen said...

i have a vivid memory of a jesus candle being left at your front door step by an anonymous admirer and you treaasured that candle...