Wednesday, August 19, 2009

OK pal....

...let's get this straight. My name is JAMIE.

So, there's this guy, I won't say who it is...but we've known each other for about 6 years now. He clearly knew my name as we've had a number of conversations over the years. And he's used my name and called me by my name, many times. Then suddenly, out of the blue, he started calling me Jody one day. No explanation....after years of knowing someone's name how do you all of a sudden change it to something else??

I don't know either.

Anyways, this man happens to have a loud bellowy voice....and it's very awkward and uncomfortable when in the midst of a crowded room he will shout out, "Hi Jody!". You see, I never corrected him. I don't know why. It would have been very embarassing. For both of us. And I was always worried someone else would correct him and say "That's Jamie"...which would then create an even more uncomfortable situation because he would realize I've let him call me Jody for going on two years now. So not only would it be silly that he changed my name...but even more dumb that I never once bothered to correct him and just let it continue. And in fact would answer to Jody.

It got to the point that I would just avoid him. Many times if I heard him coming I would duck into a studio or office.....sometimes, quite often in fact, I would pretend to be talking on the phone when he was nearby.

Just last week, I saw him coming towards me in the hallway.....I had nowhere to go so I thought I would just suck it up and let him call me Jody.

"Hi Jane!"

What the F is going on???

No comments: