Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I've written before.....

.....about the complex I have regarding the sharing of recipes. I believe recipes should be covetted. Kept secret. Not shared. Hoarded. Used to make one feel superior to others. To give one a sense of power when someone compliments you on a dish and the smug satisfaction that comes with knowing you are never, ever going to share the recipe with them.

That being said....I am going to share a recipe with you now. Only because, it's not technically "my" recipe. It came from a childhood friend, who shared it with her grandmother, who just happens to be our cottage neighbour. I gladly partook in this dish this past weekend. And by partook, I mean I ate half a casserole dish full.

That is beside the point. This is super easy to make. Even the boy likes it. And generally he isn't a big fan of dips. If you love chicken wings, this tastes the same, but without all the mess. It's going to be my new pot-luck party staple.

I totally plan to outshine whomever chooses to bring the old nacho dip stand-by at the next get together. Consider yourself warned ladies.

Buffalo Chicken Wing Dip
1. Spread a thick layer of cream cheese on the bottom of a large cake pan or shallow casserole dish. (Depending how big your oven-safe dish is, you may need either 1 or 2 bricks of cream cheese.)
2. Cover the cream cheese with a layer of shredded cooked chicken.
3. Sprinkle chicken with a layer of Frank's Red Hot Sauce until most of the chicken is covered. (This doesn't make it as hot as it sounds...it's more for flavour...and the cream cheese balances uot any heat.)
4. Cover with a layer of shredded cheddar cheese (old works best).
5. Cover with tin foil, and heat at 350 degrees until the top layer of cheese melts. Serve warm...with chips or pita obviously.

I've seen some other versions of this recipe that call for a layer of blue cheese dressing on top of the cream cheese. I left this out because I hate blue cheese dressing. But so an not to discriminate against any blue cheese lovers....I'm putting the idea out there for you.

However you choose to make it - you can thank me later.

No comments: