Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Growing up in Ottawa......

....there was just a certain way of speaking that I became accustomed to. And I should point out, I actually grew up outside of Ottawa, in an incredibly small town. No streetlights. One convenience store. One bank. One grocery store. One gas station. One public school (no high school).You get it.

But still, when I moved to Owen Sound, I was exposed to a whole new dialect.

This morning, while in the car with my mother-in-law, the following two phrases were uttered within a span of about 4 minutes; "Freeze the balls off a brass monkey" and "Jesus Lord love a duck".

In all my twenty-plus years in Ottawa, never once did I hear anyone actually use these expressions. But it's also one of the things I love about where I live now.

1 comment:

Meesh said...

my fave was: Jesus Lord love a duck