Friday, October 1, 2010

So we've been....

....giving away tickets to see Mickey Rooney at the Old Roxy this weekend. I would have thought a Hollywood legend, coming to a small town would have been a big draw. But tickets are going slow. Possibly due to the $70 price tag.

To be honest I was a little shocked to find that Mickey Rooney was still alive. I have fond memories of him from my choldhood, due to the fact that he used to appear on one of my favourite shows from my pre-teen years. I couldn't even really be sure I didn't make this sho wup in my mind, but thanks to Wikipedia I know this is not the case: 'There was also a television series called Adventures of the Black Stallion which aired from 1990 to 1993 and starred Mickey Rooney and Richard Ian Cox."

Anywho, Mickey Rooner got me thinking about one of my true favourite Hollywood living legends, Anthony Hopkins. Ok, I should just admit it...I might have watched Legends of the Fall again the other day. That might have been Viewing #1634 of that particular film. TRowards the end, when Anthony's character who's had a stroke, pulls a rifle out of his ragged old bearskin coat and blows away all the corrupt lawmen who have come to kill his son??? Ugh, it gets me everytime.

I tried to find a still from this scene in the movie to post here, but apparently not as many people are a huge fan of this movie as I am.

And then yesterday, while I'm on the topic of Hollywood legends.....I learned another of my favourites, Tony Curtis, had died. My love for Mr. Curtis is based solely on two facts. One, he starred in one of my favourite movies of all time, "Some Like It Hot" along with Marolin Monroe & Jack Lemon. This movie will always make me think of mt grandma and watching it over and over and over again at the cottage for a few summer sin a row, until I knew everyword to everyone of Marilyn's songs.

The second reason I loved Tony Curtis is a little more complex. I was partially named after his daughter, not-quite-legendary actress Jamie Lee Curtis. Then, only yeasterday I learned that Tony Curtis' real name was Bernie Schwartz. And that instantly took away a whole lot of what was left of my 80's namesake glory. Oh well.

R.I.P. Tony.

No comments: