Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I dyed my hair for the first time in about 3 years the other night. The reason it took me so long was because the last time I dyed my hair I ewound up alternating between hysterics, having a panic attack, lashing out angrily at my brother and sister-in-law for not being able to fix it (horrible yes, but it wasn' tmy best moment). Oh, I also forgot to mention the excruciating pain.

So here's what went down in a nutshell:

-I decided to update my colour, which was already way too light....by going EVEN LIGHTER. Goo dchoices.
-In fact, why not just bleach it and then add a colour afterwards? Perfect.
-Bleaching done...hair is mostly bleached with some reddish and pink portions. I'm not worried yet.
-Apply hair dye.....doesn't take at all. hair is even more patchy now with some caramel coloured portions, some white, some orange, some pink.
-Now panicking.
-Crying, wearing a hat, hair sopping wet, scalp burning, drive to 24-hour pharmacy and spend literally my last $15 (I had recently been fired) on a super dark hair dye that I hope - while not coming close to acheiving my initial desired blonde tresses - will at least serve to cover up all the mess and get me somewhere back to my natural colour.
-Despite numerous warnings from brother & sister-in-law about the dangers of over-processing hair, decide to go ahead an dtry to fix the situation while hair is still wet from first 2 treatments.
-Rinse out dye after 45 minutes of AGONY. Scalp is burning. Beyond anything I've ever done to my hair (and I've done a lot.....4 hours having my hair chemically straightened? Yeah, this was worse). Eyes burning & watering. Depression creeping in. Remember that I have blind date the next day. Hate blind dates. Any "dates". And have just lost whatever small amount of confidence I had about looking somewhat attractive for said date. Also, remembering that I am broke & jobless with no way to pay for newly leased apartment. Not a good time for me.
-Anywho, unwrap towl from around my head to see that my hair is at least 3-4 inches shorter than it had been an hour ago. And it's choppy and uneven. And when I touch it it literally breaks off in my hands like plastic. So after a few moments of grabbing at my hair while screaming at my brother & SIL, "SEE?!?! It just FALLS OUT!!!", my hair ends up even shorter. And a very moussy, washed out brown, not the mysterious and ravishing black I had envisioned. This is what I looked like, and keep in mind this is months after the actual "incident":
Anyways, it took YEARS for my hair to grow back. It was all dead. God, that was a bad time. Incidentally, my blind date the following evening went BRUTALLY. And I like to think maybe it had nothing to do with my sad-ass haircut. But that is a story for another time.
This is the "finally-it-grew-back-and-I-didn't-learn-my-lesson-so-I'm-going-to-try-to-dye-it-one-more-time" look. I'm not 100% sold on the colou rbut the hair dye was on sale for HALF PRICE on the clearance shelf. Also, probably not the wisest idea, but hey, fortunately it worked.

No comments: